a "stroke" or cerebrovascular accident is caused when a blood clot clog a vein that leads to your brain. the effect can be lethal or it can leave you a vegetable for the rest of your life. unfortunately, a "stroke" is sometimes not so obvious until the patient goes into arrest.
Doctors say that if stroke is identified and given treatment within three (3) hours of incident, the effects can be COMPLETELY reversed.
The following are general symptoms of stroke:
- severe headache with no known cause
- weakness, numbness, or tingling in the face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body
- trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance, or coordination
- inability to speak or difficulty speaking or understanding
- trouble seeing with one or both eyes, or double vision
- confusion or personality changes
- difficulty with muscle movements, such as swallowing, moving arms and legs
- loss of bowel and bladder control
- loss of consciousness.
on the other hand, for majority of us who are not medically trained to identify and test these symptoms, the email recommend that we memorize the word STReS that stands for the following:
S - SMILE , if the smile is not symmetrical it can indicate one side of the brain is affected.
T - TALK COHERENTLY, engage the person in a conversation and notice if the person is talking coherently
Re - REACH OUT BOTH ARMS
S - STICK OUT THE TONGUE, if the tongue is pulled to one side of the mouth it may indicate problems with the brain.
if the person displays any of these basic symptom call an ambulance or doctor, this may make the difference in saving a person's life.