post mortem

"However I forgot that the hub was in Dubai and the majority of the OFWs (overseas Filipino workers) were stationed there. The duty-free shop was overrun with Filipino workers selling cell phones and perfume. Meanwhile, I wanted to slash my wrist at the thought of being trapped in a plane with all of them.

While I was on the plane (where the seats were so small I had bruises on my legs)... I heaved a sigh, popped my sleeping pills and dozed off to the sounds of gum chewing and endless yelling... “Hey there? Where are you from? Are you a domestic helper as well?” I though I had died and God had sent me to my very own private hell."

with this, malu fernandez effectively committed professional suicide by mistaking elitist statements as acerbic wit.

whereas she lived in a delusional existence as a popular-rich-wannabee-socialite, she gained infamy and the nation's desire to have her stuck on a skewer and slowly roasting in a rotisserie. a thousand hate mails of the creeping and electronic type, death threats, insults that could cow even the thickest of skin and rumors of her name on top of the abu sayaff's hit list finally had her tender her resignation as both columnist of Manila Standard and lifestyle writer for People Asia.

i have no words to add that can add more fire to her personal hell. She has said her apology (quoted in this blog) with the hope of going back to her previous "delusional existence as a popular... fill in your adjectives" where making cracks about the "sociocultural divide" is considered a witty remark by friends. ironically, she listed 11 friends in her friendster profile. a list that is expected to disappear as the glamor of fame quickly fades into a status of social pariah.

her apparent apology has abated my desire to condemn her statement. my only desire for this entry is to mark the date that the voice of the filipino reverberated strong and loud against bigotry.

let us not delude ourselves into thinking that bigotry will cease to exist. in some posh home where dinner and wine is served, that acerbic wit still exists but talked about in the confines of private conversation. not too loud, otherwise manang might drop a bit of rat poison into that glass of very expensive £105,000 1787 Chateau Lafite Bordeaux wine served at the table.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The ABS-CBN News and Links to the Published Article



The Initial Apology

As I type this, I’d like you to know that it’s not about whining, complaining and bitching but just stating the facts. Just recently, I wrote a funny article in my magazine column and my friends thought it was hilarious. It was humorous and quite tongue-in-cheek, or at least I thought so, until the magazine got a few e-mails from people who didn’t get the meaning of my acerbic wit. The bottom line was just that I had offended the reader’s socioeconomic background. If any of these people actually read anything thicker then a magazine they would find it very funny. Most people don’t get the fact that they need bitches like me to shake up their world, otherwise their lives would be boring and mediocre. I obviously write for the a certain target audience and if what I write offends you, just stop reading.

Although it may sound elitist to you the fact is this country is built on the foundation of haves, have-nots and wannabes. One group will never get the culture of the other. Although I could mention that it is easier to understand someone who has a lower socioeconomic background that would entail a whole other page and frankly I don’t want to be someone to bridge the gap between socioeconomic classes. I leave that to the politicians in my family who believe they can actually help. Now I seriously ask you, am I being a diva or are people around me just lacking in common sense? Perhaps it’s a little of both!

The Final Statement from Malu Fernandez on the OFW Controversy

I am humbled by the vehement and heated response provoked by my article entitled ‘From Boracay to Greece!’ which came out in the June 2007 issue of People Asia. To say that this article was not meant to malign, hurt or express prejudice against the OFWs now sounds hollow after reading through all the blogs from Filipinos all over the world. I am deeply apologetic for my insensitivity and the offensive manner in which this article was written, I hear you all and I am properly rebuked. It was truly not my intention to malign hurt or express prejudice against OFWs.

As the recent recipient and target of death threats, hate blogs, and deeply personal insults, I now truly understand the insidiousness of discrimination and prejudice disguised as humor. Our society is bound together by human chains of kindness and decency. I have failed to observe this and I am now reaping the consequences of my actions. It is my fervent hope that the lessons that Ive learned are not lost on all those who through anonymous blogs, engaged in bigotry, discrimination, and hatred ( against overweight individuals , for example )

I take full responsibility for my actions and my friends and family have nothing to do with this. To date I have submitted my resignation letters to both the Manila Standard and People Asia, on that note may this matter be laid to rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Men and Makeup

a most unusual saint

the sign